Tae = 'Foot' or 'to kick' or 'to jump'
K'won = 'Fist' or 'to strike or block with hand'
Do = 'The way of' or 'art'
Put this together and Taekwondo means: "The art of kicking and punching" or "The art of unarmed combat."
Disciplines of TaekwondoTaekwondo has four disciplines:
- Break Test
Objectives of Taekwondo:
- to develop an appreciation for Taekwondo as a sport and an art
- to achieve physical fitness through positive participation
- to improve mental discipline and emotional equanimity
- to learn self-defense skills
- to develop a sense of responsibility for one self and others